Unable to remove mysql-server.

Hi,

I tried to uninstall mysql-server to compile the original binary file, but it looks like I have a problem :-(
Here is what apt-get shows me:
mobi:~# apt-get remove mysql-server
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  mysql-server
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 1987kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 23902 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mysql-server ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server.prerm: /etc/init.d/mysql: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
chown: /usr/share/mysql: No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 mysql-server

so I tried with the -f option, but:

mobi:~# apt-get remove -f mysql-server
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  mysql-server
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 1987kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 23902 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mysql-server ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server.prerm: /etc/init.d/mysql: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing mysql-server (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
chown: /usr/share/mysql: No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 mysql-server

What I realy need is version 3.23, but it's still in the testing section.

Can you tell tell me how to install version 3.23 ?

Chrys
chrys@chrys.ca