Re: Freeze on HD access during boot (installer kernel)

Following myself in case anyone reads this in the archive and wants
my solution.

I have no idea, but progress none the less.

Last night, when I got home from work, I booted using the newest
Potato rescue/root disks, and e2fsck'ed the hard drive, finding and
fixing several problems.  After that, the system booted normally.

However, inexplicably the 3c59x.o module had disappeared, so I
couldn't connect via the network.  I recompiled the kernel
(optimizing for 386 to avoid the Athlon bug I was warned about) and
made sure to do "make modules" and "make modules_install".  I still
can't see the network -- both dhclient and pump fail to get an IP
address.  Also, tcpdump reports that the network is down and sees no
packets.  Oddly, 3c59x.o reports no problems when it's modprobed.

During boot, however, the attempt to initialize the 3Com card fails.
(Sorry, boot message is once more at home while I'm at work.)

It's the only PCI card in the system.  The problem could be software,
or the card has a fault, or the PCI bus isn't working.  Tonight I
will try another PCI card to see if that one works.  If that fails,
I'll buy another network card and see if that's detected.

I will also try to install Woody (on another hard disk), and see if
*it* can detect the card.

Interestingly, my first several attempts to recompile the kernel were
met with sig11, but that completely stopped after a few hours and
I've had no recurrence.  I never used to believe in burn-in, but it
actually seems to be necessary.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net