Re: gvim in Debian

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 10:29:35PM -0700, Jason Machacek wrote:
| I install the Vim package, and gvim shows up in the man pages after that,
| but gvim doesn't get installed.  Is there a more advanced Vim package I have
| to install to take advantage of this program?

Yeah, vim has lots of options when it is compiled.  It can be compiled
very small with no gui and none of the nice features like syntax
highlighting and autoindenting.  This yields a much smaller binary
(good for a 486 wtih 8MB RAM or similar).  Alternatively it can be
built with one of several guis and lots of features including
multibyte, right-to-left input and embedding python, perl, or ruby
interpreters.

The vim maintainer provides several packages with different
compile-time options.  As people have already said, the vim-gtk
package includes the GTK+ gui.  So does the vim-python package (and I
imagine the others other than vim and vim-tiny).  You will also want
to install the vim-rt package so that you get all the filtetype
detection and syntax highlighting features.

However, I highly recommend getting vim 6.  It is a stable release and
packages are in woody or sid somewhere.  vim 6 has lots of great new
features including folding and encodings.

HTH,
-D