Re: Newbie comments & queries

on Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 08:05:55AM +0200, Ian Balchin (fables@imaginet.co.za) wrote:
> Brenda et al.
>
> Thanks, I have the directory colouring OK now, as the user I had
> to do the bash_profile to get it running (which 'include's the
> bashrc)
>
> I wanted to colorise the prompt. Also (down the road) I wanted to
> get some colour to joe (they have it yellow and red at the local
> university) as it is a bit bland with everything white on black.
> So ..... reading the Config-HOWTO has not helped as following his
> suggestions makes no change (have saved all original files as
> .old) Queries:
>
> What is the difference between the files in /etc , /etc/skel , and
> /root ??

/etc are systemwide configuration files.  Some of these are used only
for specific server applications (e.g.:  /etc/exim.config), others for
users (/etc/profile).

/etc/skel are "templates" for config files copied to standard users.

/root files shouldn't be used ;-).  You're logging into your system as
'ian', aren't you.

Seriously, logging in as root is dangerous, and largely unnecessary.

> Why are some files started with a dot (.) and others not?

Users' config files frequently exist as a file .foo or a directory .foo/
in the user's home directory.  The leading dot '.' means the file isn't
visible on a standard directory listing (use ls -a to see the files).
Frankly, I think this standard's been abused, and users should get a set
of subdirectories including an ~/etc and ~/tmp for configuration and
temporary files.

> Reading the config-HOWTO (where he gives sample files that are not
> the Debian ones) he plainly states in section 4.1  that
>
> /etc/bashrc (which we do not have) (Not a dot file) and..
> /etc/profile (Not a dot file)
>
> can be edited for system-wide effects - ie as I understand it,
> root and all users will be affected by these settings unless they
> are elsewhere modified (like a user editing ditto-named files in
> his $home directory.

Yes.

> My Gnu/Linux Bible is on the way (thank the Lord) but the bad news
> is that it is going to take 2 to 3 months surface mail to get
> here!

Ouch.

> In the meantime I'll have to print out the Bash_Prompt-HOWTO.
>
> Have been looking at emacs. 'nuff said.
>
> The HOWTOs would be better if they were Debian specific, but they
> do assume that you are already in the know on most matters linux
> and the writers are often using redhat or something other than
> Debian.

There *are* some Debian-specific HOWTOs.  Most, however, refer to
multiple GNU/Linux distros.  As Debian increases in popularity, you can
expect to see more Debian-specific coverage.

My hint on reading HOWTOs:

  - There's introductory/administrative information.  This can usually
    be ignored.

  - There's installation information.  Largely irrelevant for Debian.
    You don't need to worry about obtaining, downloading, compiling, and
    installing software.

  - There's the configuration section.  Read this.

  - Additional references.  Yada, yada.  Skim this, it may be of some
    use.

Again, there's Debian-specific documentation at the Debian website, in
the man and info pages, and in your own /usr/share/doc directory.

Peace.