Re: Converting From Red Hat to Debian

Mark Seven Smith wrote:
> What I WANT to do, is to install the latest Debian version
> onto a second hard drive that I have; then I will put that
> hard drive as drive hda, and use the second drive (the one
> that now has Red Hat) as my /home directory.
>
> That being said--what I want to know is, first of all, is
> how can I install Debian on my second drive, without having
> to go through the install procedure (which is incompatible
> in *text mode* with my video card)?

  there are two possible solutions:

  1) use serial console, not sure if it's supported and you would need
something that acts as terminal

  2) install debian on different machine (it must be sufficiently
similar but not very similar - you just need basic system)

  also: you might want to look into what's the problem with video card
not working even in text mode (does it work in text mode in redhat?
there should be no difference). Try newer install disk for debian...

  for a workstation I would go with unstable - there's a lot of new
stuff in there and it is VERY stable (that's what I am using), any
problems are usually quickly fixed.

	erik