Re: tar split into 650M sizes

on Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 01:32:57AM -0600, Lance Hoffmeyer (lance@augustmail.com) wrote:
> Is there a way to run tar on a direcory that is 2Gig and have tar
> create multiple file that are 650M each?
>
> Yes, I am trying to create a CD backup.  None of the programs I have
> seen create 650M tarballs.  They all go directly to multiple CD's.  I
> would like to create the multiple ISO's first.  The directory is on a
> nfs mounted share so I don't want my entire / just /mnt/shared/pub
> which is 3Gig in size.

Not tar per se, but you might be able to do this with 'split'.  You'll
have to reassemble the pieces afterwards:

    tar czvf - source | split -b 650m tarpiece-

...should create files tarpiece-aa tarpiece-ab tarpiece-ac...

To reassemble, copy to disk, then:

    cat tarpiece-* > file.tar.gz

...will reassemble the tarfile.

Peace.