[Fwd: Re: Big time problem after disk crash]

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

> on Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:23:22PM -0800, calyth-shaw (calyth@shaw.ca) wrote:
>
> > I was rebooting the system when it froze, right after sending the "wall"
> > message to all users that it's going to reboot. It resulted in an
> > unflushed disk cache reboot, and I know it was going to be massive.
>
> > Now I'm left with at least a problem in which X wouldn't start for my
> > regular user, yet it starts for the root user. I've tried to
> > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common, and specify that anyone could start X
> > server, yet it still wouldn't start. I was using Gnome/Enlightenment.
> >
> > Can somone tell me what could be wrong so that I don't have to do a
> > fresh install?
>
> Boot single after a hard crash and fsck system disks.  Use the -f option
> to force checks even if the fs checks as clean.  You might also want to
> take the additional steps of adding a journaled filesystem (reiserfs or
> ext3fs) to your system.  I've added reiserfs to laptops I run, am trying
> to get ext3fs configured.

All partitions have been checked.

> Sounds though that your remaining problems are likely unrelated.
>
> The X problem sounds supiciously similar to several problems noted here.
> There's a quoting problem in one of the startup files, possibly
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99xfree86common_start, though I haven't been
> following the discussion properly.  Remove the double quotes if they
> exist.

No double quotes

> You might also check the contents of /etc/X11/Xserver.

That file have a couple lines. The first line leads to the path of X
itself
The second line says Console, so anyone on  Console could start X
Then the rest is comments about this file, but somehow they're not
denoted with a
# character. Could that cause problems?

> As always, watching program startup and error output is helpful.

When X quit by itself it looked fine. I've yet to check the logs and set
up the
error output to a file.

It seems that somehow anyone other than root can start X, but unable to
start
Gnome and Enlightenment. Do you have any ideas aobut how to correct
that, or at
least where should I look for problems?

PS Netscape Messenger is already set to wrap 72 characters, if you guys
do have problems reading e-mail, please let me know how to fix that.

Calyth