Re: GCC packages fighting amongst themselves?

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 08:12:17PM +0000, Neil Booth wrote:
> > (Ironically, the reason I want to get rid of gcc-2.95 entirely and use
> > only gcc-3.x is that I'm a GCC maintainer, and want to do lots of testing
> > with the 3.x series.  If the solution to this dependancy mess involves
> > destroying gcc-doc, that's fine with me; I have many copies of the GCC
> > manual already.  :-)
>
> Takes two to tango 8-).  I just let CVS GCC install itself in
> usr/local after a "make install", and then it's first on the path
> anyway.

Same here, I just like having apt-get bring me to new versions.  :-)

My solution was to cringe and do a mass uninstall of all the task-*
packages that were interfering, or looked like they might interfere, or
looked like they might have children that could someday interfere, etc.
(As an old-school Linux user, watching the kernel sources being removed
is a big-time sweaty-hands moment.)  Then I reinstalled all the real
packages individually.  No conflicts, whee.

I had forgotten that task-*'s were just fake packages.  I'd installed them
when I firt started using Debian.  Thanks all for reminding me!

Phil
P.S.- Side question:  is there a "system package auditing" tool, akin to
pkgchk(8) on Solaris?  Something that takes the list of installed packages
and checks that none of the files have been hand-deleted, etc?