Backspace is delete

Maybe I'm just being a clueless newbie, but I can't find where to put the
^H back into my Backspace in X text applications.

I fixed /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz, so now the console works.  I checked
the xmodmap, and that's configured correctly (verified with xev).  But the
Backspace key still produces a Delete in xterm, mutt, etc.

I know this whole RMS Backspace/Delete debate goes way back (at least) to
the early 80's, but I just want my own keyboard the way I'm used to.

Any assistance warmly appreciated.

	-Michael Robinson