Re: Mailing List policy regarding From: and Reply-To: ?

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 08:47:29AM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
| On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 03:38:11PM +0100, Erik Simon wrote:
| > OK, so if I understand well, the trick is

| > and use the group-reply for the list and the reply for the private
| > address, is that right?
|
| Yep. Group-reply will probably mail both the list and the private
| address, but many mailers have a list-reply function that uses only
| Mail-Followup-To:.

According to the headers, Erik is using mutt.  The list-reply function
is "L".  (case sensitive)

| In mutt, you can use either the 'lists' or the 'subscribe' function to
| control this. If you list-reply to a mailing list mentioned in 'lists'
| your Mail-Followup-To: will be set so that you're cc'ed, whereas if you
| list-reply to a mailing list mentioned in 'subscribe' it'll be set just
| to the list.

I have just one thing to add to this - when you specify an address
with 'subscribe' mutt defualts to showing the list address in index
view, not the address of the person who really sent it.  This is
helpful if you don't have filters (you can see which list the message
came from) but is really really annoying if you do have filters (of
course it's from that list, that's why it is in the folder)

In my .muttrc I have

set index_format="%4C %Z %{%b%d} %-15.15n(%4l) %s"

so display the sender's name regardless.

HTH,
-D