Re: Mail retrieval / delivery

  >>> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:40:57 -0400,
  >>> "cmasters" == C Masters <cmasters@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

  cmasters> I should be able to configure fetchmail to retrieve ~my~ mail
  cmasters> (at first) and then use any mailer to read and send mail.

Just configure your ~/.fetchmailrc, along the following lines:

    poll POP_SERVER
        proto pop3 timeout 30
        user ISP_USERNAME pass ISP_PASSWORD
        is LOCAL_USERNAME here

Fetchmail will grab email from your server and submit it to the SMTP port
on localhost (by default).  Test it with a quick run of "fetchmail -v".
Once it's working, you can set it up in crontab, or experiment with
fetchmail's daemon mode (I prefer crontab, myself).

You'll need your SMTP server configured to
   - deliver locally for local addresses
   - forward non-local address to your ISP's SMTP server
   - (probably) block connections from remote hosts

(Let me know if you want a sample config for postfix; I'm sure others will
be able to help you out with an equivalent config for exim.)

--
cheers, Mike

"Life is like an analogy."