Re: woody - problems with dns

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 22:16, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> Host should not look at your /etc/hosts file. It's one line description
> puts it quite succinctly:

I got several private mails about that and knwo I think there is a
problem with looking up loca host, but it has nothing to do with the
'host' command which seems not to be expected to query the file
'/etc/hosts'.

I have already found out that the problem is triggered by exim on my
system (woody). A dial on demand is invocated every time exim is called
querying for MyMachine. This seems not to be an intended behavior and I
have posted to debian-testing and exim-users@exim.org to track this and
got several replies. To much cross posting is bad, I think. Therefore I
have not sent anything to debian-users.

Nevertheless, two other debian users have replied having similar problems.
So it might be a general problem for anyone. So, I will post the result
here at least.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Bye, Steffen