problems with the keyboard?....I don't think so....

Hi all!

Yesterday I updated a debian woody. It was first installed in June,
therefore most of the installed packages have been updated. After dselect
finished the update process, all seemed to work fine, and all the services
were working well (apache/php, mysql, samba, ssh, etc.). After a few hours I
had to reboot, and this is what happened:

- the boot process executes without showing any error message
- the machine answers to ping requests
- ssh, samba and apache are not responding
- at the login prompt I can't write anything. Pressing keys on the keyboard
has no effect. This is not an hardware problem with the keyboard.

Since both console and remote access to the system are not working, I can't
log in.
Any suggestions on how to solve the problem?
Could be a problem with the locale?

I also tried to boot from a different kernel I had on a floppy, but nothing
changes.

thanks!

Fabio