Re: apt-get error

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 06:45:53PM +0300, Rodolf Sarimanok wrote:
> Hello all, I have a little problem but I can't resolve it.
> When I try to install or deinstall "ed" it marks
>
> (Reading database ... 22003 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing ed ...
> update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/man/man1/editor.1.gz.dpkg-tmp a
> symlink to /etc/alternatives/editor.1.gz: No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing ed (--remove):
>  subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
> update-alternatives: unable to make /usr/man/man1/editor.1.gz.dpkg-tmp a
> symlink to /etc/alternatives/editor.1.gz: No such file or directory

It's not a bug in ed, at least, but I'm not quite sure where the bug is.
Some package on your system is using /usr/man/man1/editor.1.gz rather
than /usr/share/man/man1/editor.1.gz for the editor alternatives. Could
you show the contents of /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/editor?

> Can someone explain me the cause?

A package is relying on /usr/man/man1 existing when it didn't create it
itself. This used to be safe enough, but now that we've almost managed
to move from /usr/man to /usr/share/man it's more and more likely to be
wrong.

> How to fix please?

'mkdir -p /usr/man/man1' is an ugly workaround. Finding the broken
package and getting it to change its alternative is better.