Re: apt-get dist-upgrade breaks lilo. Solved.

Hi
I have discovered what I did wrong to cause this problem.
The NT bootloader requires that the boot sector of the linux
partition be an ordinary file in the NT filesystem.
Each time lilo is run that bootsector changes, so the NT
file has to be rewritten. That's what I forgot.
I copied the new bootsector
(dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/bootsec.new bs=512 count=1), mcopied
/bootsec.new to a floppy, and copied it to NT from there.
Now lilo boots just fine.

apt-get dist-upgrade must have asked to rerun lilo, and I
said ok,  while apt-get upgrade did not,  so that's
why the boot process was still ok on the one machine that
was not dist-upgraded.

Thanks
Charles Kaufman
chuck@uri.edu