Re: MBR erased

Thomas, Rick wrote:

>1.  I have two hard drives sda1 and sdb1.  I have RedHat installed on sda1
>and Debian installed on sdb1.  The master boot record on the sdb1(Debian
>disk) was accidently erased.  I can still mount the drive but I can no
>longer boot from the sdb1 drive.  Is there any way to copy the MBR back to
>drive sdb1.  I tried using the following while booting on drive sda1 and
>mounting drive sdb1, but it did not work.
>
>mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb1 /mnt (mounted okay)
>chroot /mnt lilo -v -m /boot/map (runs okay and says that lilo was added)
>
>next I tried to boot up using disk 2 or sdb1 and it freezes at the LI just
>before the LILO prompt

Just a suggestion: if you want to use both your RH and Debian OS's
then thrash lilo and go for grub (get 0.90). make a menu.lst in
/boot/grub to make life easier. Grub also offers better security than
lilo (via password and lock). I'm booting win98, debian and
qnx using grub and it works quite well.

try this menu.lst:

# wait for user input
timeout -1

# boot RH
root (sd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version root=/dev/sda1

# boot Debian
root (sd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1

www.edsamail.com