Re: No umlauts with mutt

Hi,

> I got a weird problem with mutt (1.3.23-2). I am using xdm, I log into
> as a user and windowmaker is started. When I start a terminal (e.g.
> xterm or rxvt), umlauts are displayed correctly in mutt (and also in
> other applications, like vim). Now I created a 'shortcut' (a dock-app)
> to start mutt easier. I used 'xterm -name mutt -title mutt -e mutt' -
> mutt is started correctly, but I do not have umlauts in the pager
> anymore!
>
> $echo $LC_CTYPE $LANG
> de_DE.ISO-8859-1 C

Are you sure LC_CTYPE is set in the xterm you launch for mutt? That
is, if you start xterm like that, it isn't a login shell, so it
doesn't read /etc/profile and Co. only ~/.bashrc. Normally, when you
login again, it sets the variable for all the system, but I remember
having the same problem once, and I solved it writing a wrapper for
mutt and lauching it instead. But normally, if you set the variable at
the right place, it should work fine.

Good luck.
Erik

PS by wrapper I mean a simple script like:
# LC_CTYPE=<whatever>
# xterm -name mutt -title mutt -e mutt
--
Erik Simon              erik@alfr.net             http://erik.alfr.net