Re: Weird File Permissions

Hi,

"s" is the setuid and/or setgid permission: setuid in the user field,
setgid in the group field.

On files, setuid/setgid allow the group/user ID of the process
started when invoking an executable file to be set to the
group/user ID owning the file, respectively.

Setting the setgid bit on a directory influences the group ownership of
files and directories created under it.  On Linux, the default behaviour
is for new directories to be created with the default group of the
creating user (System V convention).  Setting the setgid bit on the
directory forces new directories created under it to have the same group
as the parent directory; this is the BSD convention.

In your case, all new files and directories created under /home will be
owned by group "staff".

I'm not sure what setting the setuid bit on a directory does; it seems to
have much the same effect as setting the setgid bit, but there must be
some subtle difference I'm not aware of.

Best regards,

George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,
tel:   +35 79 68 08 86                   Strovolos,
email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,
web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus