Re: Newbie comments & queries

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 04:18:36PM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:

| I have feelers out for some ram but am not going to worry too much
| about a gui at present. Plenty to learn at the prompt.

Unfortuantely, _new_ RAM is cheap, but _old_ RAM is very expensive.
You can get a new 128MB PC133 DIMM for around $30 (US) or less
(depending on promotions) but a 16MB EDO SIMM costs around $40-$80.
If you have an older machine (486, old Pentium) it would actually be
cheaper to get a new machine than to buy memory.

| In fact with my 28.8 external modem coming up in a few weeks I
| should look at installing packages to turn the m/c into a dial up
| for email.

This isn't very hard, once you know what to use and what to look for.

| That means installing another serial port as the only one is used
| for the mouse.

Get a real modem, not a win-modem.  The modem is the serial port then
(if it is internal, anyways).  Otherwise, yes you will need an open
serial port on the box.

| Hold on until I ask the questions, I will read the books and man
| pages first.

That's not too much info, is it?

-D