Re: apt-get upgrade woes

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 08:01:37 -0800, P Kirk wrote:
> > Preparing to replace util-linux 2.11h-1 (using
> > .../util-linux_2.11l-3_i386.deb)
> > install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or
> > directory
> > dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
> > dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> > install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or
> > directory

> Its unusual to go a whole day without a response to my query - should I

Seems to be a good idea.

> or have I not given enough information?

Well, there is some information that may prove to be relevant, like
- The version of dpkg (the package which contains install-info)
- The output of "ls -ld /usr/info /usr/share/info"
- The log produced by
  "strace -f -e file -o fileaccesslog dpkg -i util-linux_2.11l-3_i386.deb"
  which probably shows what dir couldn't be locked.

HTH,
Ray
--
Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but there's still a bug in there from last time.