Re: Newbie question

Alan Shutko wrote:

> Nathan E Norman <nnorman@micromuse.com> writes:
>
> > Huh?  "ls --color=auto" does the right thing.
>
> Unless something is using a pty to talk to ls.  But that only disturbs
> emacs shell mode, afaik.

It also won't work for anyone who wants to pipe ls into a pager. This,
to me, is the most annoying thing about the idea of changing a program's
behavior simply based on whether stdout is a tty. A better question
would be whether the chain of pipes ultimately leads to a tty, but
that's a trickier problem to solve, I suppose.

Craig