Re: new to the list - XFree86 on Woody problems

1.  If you have a mouse config problem, the server rarely crashes on
startup.  You will get a screen but the mouse will not work
properly...i.e. no movement or erratic movement.

If I move the mouse while x is running (it crashes during the kde screen 'loading peripherals') the movement is erratic and leaves bits of the screen behind as i move it.

You could stick with the old XFree v. 3.3.6
server you were using,

It seemed to disappear without trace during the upgrade!

Note, I am using the gpm package.  I had to configure gpm-config to set
the "Repeat-type: raw" to make it work...in case you are interested.  If
you don't use gpm, then set the "Device" to "/dev/psaux".

neither /dev/gpmdata (gpm is running) or /dev/psaux work, it crashes at the same point with both

I suggest you run a "apt-get install xfonts-pex" and see what happens.
If this doesn't improve things, try "apt-get --reinstall install
xfonts-pex".

I have done this and it installed and reinstalled but no difference to the problem

It has been suggested that perhaps my card is not supported by the newer XFree86, which I suppose is a possibility.

Rachel
http://www.edgeofmyseat.com
Web Development, tutorials, Dreamweaver Extensions and more...

http://www.rachelandrew.co.uk
Personal site, online ramblings and far too much purple