errors with db2html or sgmltools --backend=html

I am trying to learn to write and format DocBook XML documents. I want to write a programmers manual for ZooLib (http://zoolib.sourceforge.net/ So far I've succeeded in creating a small docbook xml file that includes another file as an entity, and in validating the file, but I can't create an HTML file from them because I get a lot of errors.

I've been using psgml in emacs to create the files, and seem to have things working properly.

When I give either the commend "db2html test.xml" or "sgmltools --backend=html test.xml" I get many errors like:

/usr/bin/jade:/usr/lib/sgml/entities/iso-amsr.ent:6:16:E: "X224A" is not a function name

and no html file is produced. Could I have something configured wrong or not installed that I need?

Here is test.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DTD DocBk XML V3.1.3//EN"
 "http://nwalsh.com/docbook/xml/3.1.3/db3xml.dtd"; [
<!ENTITY mdc "Michael D. Crawford">
<!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "chap1.xml">
]>

<book>
  <title>My First Book"</title>
  &chap1;
</book>

here is chap1.xml:

  <para>The first paragraph</para>
  <para>The second paragraph</para>
</chapter>

<!--
Local Variables:
sgml-parent-document: ("test.xml" "book" "chapter")
End:
-->

If I give the Emacs command M-x sgml-validate while in test.xml, it validates successfully.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com

    "I give you this one rule of conduct. Do what you will, but speak
     out always. Be shunned, be hated, be ridiculed, be scared,
     be in doubt, but don't be gagged."
     -- John J. Chapman, "Make a Bonfire of Your Reputations"
        http://www.goingware.com/reputation/