ssh & X apps

<mea-culpa>
I know there've been some discussions on this topic recently but I
wasn't interested at the time and now I can't for the life of me get
geocrawler or the search page on debian.org to return any useful
results. Google doesn't appear to have indexed them yet...
</mea-culpa>

Anyway, I'm trying to run some X apps on my testing machine at home from
my machine at work and I'm getting "cannot connect to X server" error
messages (emacs says 'standard input is not a tty').
I'm guessing the problem is that I'm behind a firewall at work (I've got
my router at home forwarding port 22 to the machine I'm trying to run
the apps on) but I don't know enough about how ssh works to know for
sure... any ideas how I can or whether I can fix this?

TIA