Re: debconf hosed after cold boot and fsck

Bill Wohler wrote:
>   A cold boot and a manual fsck later, dpkg is rife with errors. Here
>   are some sample errors, followed by the files in /lost+found. Any
>   suggestions for proceeding would be appreciated.
>
> [root@olgas:531]# dpkg-reconfigure debconf
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29.
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29.
> Use of uninitialized value in length at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 139, <GEN1> line 3.
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm line 49, <GEN1> line 6.
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29, <GEN1> line 6.
> Can't call method "choices" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 77, <GEN1> line 6.

You can probably fix the immediate problem by zeroing out every .dat
file in /var/cache/debconf.

I'd appreciate it if you could send me a tarball of the directory before
you wipe them out though. Debconf is supposed to do atomic file updates
of its databases so they cannot be corrupted by a crash. Maybe
filesystem buffering still let inconsistent data be written to disk or
something, and I'm thinking about maybe thrrowing a sunc in there too.
Seeing the state of your database could help me decide.

--
see shy jo