Re: How to make on board VIA VT82C686B sound chip work?

Thus spake Ian Patrick Thomas:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 05:31:23PM +0300, Antti Tolamo wrote:

> > >         I have the following modules listed in modules.dep:
> > >
> > >/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/via82cxxx_audio.o
> > >/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/misc/ac97_codec.o
> > >
> > >         In /etc/modules I have:
> > >
> > >ac97_codec
> > >
> > >         Is this all you need to get sound working?
> >

> > Technically yes. Practice you may need to do bit
> > more.
> > As I've used modconf, it apparently adds modules
> > that dependeach other. Atleast a I added ac97, came via82cxx
> > *and* OSS module came with then too.  I suspect you have
> > OSS too if you have those first two?
> > I think those mentioned should suffice, but I'm 100% sure.
> > I only installed via82cxxx  or ac97 with modconf
> > and rest necessary came with it.
> >
> 	Here is what I have after using modprobe to load up ac97_codec, and the
> via82cxxx_audio modules. soundcore was already loaded. After checking out
> the Sound-HOWTO I was able to hear R.E.M. I also used wmcdplay and could
> listen to a music CD. I have one more question though, how can you turn up
> the volume? The sound that comes out is faint.
>
> lsmod
>
> 	Module                  Size  Used by
> via82cxxx_audio         8400   0
> soundcore               2372   2 (autoclean) [via82cxxx_audio]
> ac97_codec              7172   0 [via82cxxx_audio]
>
> > But even if it works, you need to add everbody
> > who wants to listen sounds to  user 'audio' group
> > otherwise only root can listen.
> >
> 	I added my user to this group in /etc/group but I am still getting
> permission denied for /dev/dsp. I'll reboot and see what happens.
>
> Thanks, it is almost working great.
>
> Ian

You may not have to reboot - a log out & log back in usually works for
changing group permissions.  As for the volume, try a program like aumix
(there's a GTK version too, for X) - it works fine for me.
Good luck,
Steve

--
No evil can happen to a good man.