Logitech Cordless Trackman Marble FX (USB) 4th button problem

Hi all,

I have a (4 day ago freshly installed) debian distribution, dist-upgraded
to woody (almost
no problems) and with kernel 2.4.12 compiled with the following, (relevant
options for this prob only) options compiled in (* denotes that it is
compiled as a module):

Support for USB*
Preliminary USB device filesystem
UHCI Alternative Driver (JE) support*
USB Human Interface Device (Full HID) support*
Input Core Support
Mouse Support
Event interface support
/proc file system support
/dev file system support
Automatically mount at boot
Debug devfs

I followed the instructions in "The Linux USB sub-system" and
made myself a
/dev/input/mice. In XF86Config-4 I have 2 mice, a PS/2 logitech pilot
scrollmouse which works as it should. This one is the CorePointer Input
device.
The other mouse is my USB trackball, which has the "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice. The Input device section of this mouse looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "MouseManPlusPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Buttons" "4"
EndSection

Which worked for people with the older (non cordless) PS/2 version of this
trackball.

This second mouse also works great in X. The only problem is that it is a
4 button mouse, while third and fourth button both send exactly the same
signals to /dev/input/mice. So both function as a "middle mouse button".
I tried cat /dev/input/mice >~/button1.hex (while XFree86 wasn't running)
and pressed button 1. Doing this for all 4 buttons, I examined the
files in a hex editor and indeed the hex codes it sends to
/dev/input/mice are exactly the same for the third and fourth button.

In windows (ow no, the w word) most mice with a middle mouse button or an
extra button can have this button set (with some kind of mouse driver) to
function as kind of a scrollock button. So when holding this button, the
underlying page scrolls in the direction of the mouse movement. With this
trackman marble FX that has no scroll button this was an extremely usefull
tool. For linux (for the older PS/2, non cordless version) Lars Krueger
created a tool that did exactly that, called fxred
(http://www.larskrueger.homestead.com/files/) but for that tool to work, I
should have at least a working fourth button :|

Does anyone know how i could repair this problem ? I also tried the gpm
drivers (for no reason I find necessary, but maybe it could have fixed my
problems, but to no avail).

Thanks in advance,

Bastiaan Huisman
bhuisman@sci.kun.nl