Re: booting W95 from a second harddrive with grub

I believe that you are getting too complicated. Windows is, indeed,
not very flexible but I am not sure that the comments in this thread
are either correct or relevant to the real problem.

What one needs is a good boot manager in the MBR of the first
hard disk on the system. GRUB is an excellent boot manager for
this purpose and, to my thinking, it is more intuitive than LILO.

I believe that the crux of the problem is that ae.roy's GRUB
command line was too complicated.

What happens is the passing of control from the MBR to the first
sector of each partition which then boots the OS in that partition.
Once the MBR has passed control to the boot record of another
partition, Windows cares no more than any other OS which
physical disk or which partition it is on provided always that the
Windows tools have declared its partition bootable. These tools
vary from one release of Windows to another but they do not
restrict you to making only the first partition bootable.

Assuming that ae.roy keeps his Linux on /dev/hda and Windows95
on /dev/hdb, this is accomplished with the following simple
command:

title = Windows 95 chainloader = (hd1, 0)+1

(N.B. in GRUB, *everything* is numbered from 0. Thus the first
partition record of the second physical hard disk is (hd1, 0) and its
boot sector is (hd1, 0)+1 )

On my system, GRUB runs from a Caldera boot partition. In
addition, I boot Windows 2000 plus two other Debian Linux
distributions from GRUB using this simple chainloader syntax.
Each of the two other Linux installations have LILO in the boot
records of their respective partitions.

There was a reference in the original message in the title line to
``Windows NT". If there is an NT partition in this system, then this
example syntax might not apply. BTW, Microsoft did not write the
Windows NT boot manager. It is the OS/2 boot manager; Microsoft
licensed it.

Please excuse the brisk tone of this message. My overall approach
is: K.I.S.S. --- Keep it simple, ... Do let me know if the suggestion
works.