Re: ADSL startup and non-root users

While specialized tools like pon are fine for their special
cases, Debian and other UNIX systems also have some different,
generally usable way of granting normal users the right to
perform some specific command as root, given roots prior
permission.

For Debian systems I would recommend the super package.

Step by step instructions:

1. Install package super

2. Figure out which command you would do as root to bring
up / down the line.

3. Edit /etc/super.tab to specify the command and which users
may run it.

4. ln -s /usr/bin/super /usr/local/bin/yourcommand

5. Now those listed can type

$ yourcommand

to run the configured command line as root.

Hope this helps

Jakob

--
This message is hastily written, please ignore any unpleasant wordings,
do not consider it a binding commitment, even if its phrasing may