NFS kernel daemon: nfsdnfssvc: Invalid argument

I've just "apt-get dist-upgrade" a couple of machines (one sparc one
i386).  I'm running unstable and when nfs-kernel-server was being
upgraded it gave the message:

Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsdnfssvc: Invalid argument
 mountd.

Until now NFS has been working just fine.  I'm running kernel 2.2.19.
(NFS is now not working - remote hosts can not access this host.)

Changing to nfs-user-server only partially works.  Some exports are
working just fine while others are giving me:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on hostname:/dmnt/vlx,
       or too many mounted file systems

and yet other "identical" mounts work just fine......

Any ideas?

Regards,
Graham