ppp problem

hi, all
I'm new to linux and I'm experiencing a problem that is at least a bit odd:
I first installed the kernel 2.2.17 and wvdial was working fine, then I
installed kernel 2.4.9 and wvdial stopped working properly: it said
something
like "the PPP deamon has died!" right after it said the lines:
"--> PPP negotiation detected
--> starting pppd at ...
CSLIP: code copyright...."
after reconfiguring the files several times I and a friend concluded the
problem was in the modules I'd installed or not. Then I recompiled the
kernel
three times and in the second time wvdial almost worked:
pppd didn't die, but I wasn't able to ping any location but one the
/etc/ppp/ip-up ppp0 provided...
with the last kernel I compiled the problem came back to pppd died.
I was tired of compiling kernels, so I just moved the folder
/lib/modules/2.4.9 out of the way and set the 2.4.9.old (wich was the folder
of the last kernel) as 2.4.9. Strangely wvdial started working again, but
when I reboot (with the folders switched) it doesn't. It only works when I
boot with the folder I'm supposed to and then switch with the old one.
All I want is to know the modules I really need. The PPP modules I have
currently installed are:
1. M PPP support
2. * PPP multilink support (EXPERIMENTAL)
3. * PPP filtering
4. M PPP suport for async serial ports
5. M PPP suport for sync tty ports
6. M PPP Deflate compression
7. M PPP BSD-Compress compression
8. M PPP over Ethernet (EXPERIMENTAL)
2 and 8 were added the last time. 3 was added the time before that.
Note: when I tried connecting with kppp it always said "pppd died
unexpectedly", even when I could connect with wvdial, but now it only says
"Sorry, can't open modem!". If anyone could help me with that too...
Thanx
Guiu

Oi! Você quer um iG-mail gratuito?
Então clique aqui: http://registro.ig.com.br/