Memory problems, zombie processes

Hi

Please forgive me as this is my first post but i think i have the format right ;>

I have been experiencing problems on my Debian box(2.2r2, sid dist. pIII 500mhz 128mb ram).  The problems include 'zombie processes', ie issuing a 'cat' of a file, and it does not happen, so i  have to ctrl+c and i see 'cat <defunct>' in a `ps` output.  I've experienced other problems too, concerning 'wait' and 'no child process' errors.

The following example is from `make`, when making a new kernel, althought i've experience the same errors with `tar`, among others.

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
rm -f tools/build
Putting child 0x08074140 (clean) PID 745 on the chain.
Live child 0x08074140 (clean) PID 745
make[1]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
Live child 0x08074140 (clean) PID 745
make[1]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
Got a SIGCHLD; 1 unreaped children.
Reaping losing child 0x0808a928 PID 744
make: *** [archclean] Error 2
Removing child 0x0808a928 PID 744  from chain.
(root@mischief):/usr/src/linux#

that is a `make` with the debug flag, for better understanding of what is going on(i dont get it!).  Me and a few friends have tried to figure out what the problem is, but to no avail.  Trying new ram, etc has not worked.  The thing is, i 've experienced these errors with two Debian computers i have, so i  get the idea its something i have done -- i have NO clue what!.

Please email me if you need any more info, i will keep a sharp eye on the list other the week to see replies.

Thanks,
pip