Re: mortals may not run X?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 01:26:50AM +0200, A.R. (Tom) Peters (tpeters@xs4all.nl) wrote:
> > I installed Progeny, and got rid of that obnoxious gdm.  However, when as
> > a mortal I do "startx" I am told that the user is not allowed to run the
> > X server.  Says who?  /usr/bin/X11/X is world-executable.  Where is this
> > configured?
>
> /etc/X11/Xserver

Thanx for your reply, but that file does not exist anymore, at least not
in Progeny Debian with XFree86 V4.  Instead of being specified in that
file, the X server /etc/X11/X -> /usr/bin/X11/XFree86 , much like it used
to be in older versions of Debian and other distributions.

Just starting X (which is /usr/bin/X11/X, a wrapper executable that
I assume kicks the real X server) it says that this user is not allowed to
run X.  If I start the X server itself as a mortal, it fails because it
cannot open a log file in /var/log.
As far as I can tell, file permissions for the X wrapper (setgid root) and
the log dir are the same as in my previous Debian install, where a mortal
can do startx without permission problems.

The way X is configured and started seems to change frequently with
releases of distros or of XFree.  Is it documented somewhere how the
startup sequence and configuration of X is supposed to work with current
versions of Debian stable?

	Thanx,

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters