Re: fbset

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 03:38:21PM +0200, Danie Roux wrote:
| On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 09:10:55AM -0400, dman wrote:
| > | [...]
| > |                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 1st clue!
| > | If fbset works then you must not be using the vesafb driver, all you
| > | would get is an error message with vesafb
| >
| > What would allow fbset to work?  I am curios since I recently started
| > using the framebuffer stuff.  I have an SiS6326 card so I think the
| > vesafb driver is the only one I can use.
|
| Nah, you can use a SiS 6326 without vesafb on X3 and X4. What do you
| use? I'll email you my config (old one, I no have a Trident woohoo!).

I know.  I have X4 right now and it works if I boot in "vga" mode.  I
started looking at the framebuffer stuff when I tried to run quake.
(See below for more details.)  Actually by "only driver I can use" I
really meant "only _framebuffer_ driver I can use".

| Now if someone can help me get more than 10 fps on a voodoo2 in Quake 3
| I'll be happy!

What sort of client are you running?  (I don't really know much about
Quake 3 in linux though)  With Quake1 there are many different clients
 -- SVGAlib, X, 3dfx, GGI, (maybe more).  I found the GGI client to be
the best.  It uses libggi as the layer by which to access the video
hardware.  Libggi has SVGAlib and X targets so you get both of those
for free (if you want to try them), however I found both of those to
be unsatisfactory (SVGA is palettized and looks ugly, X is too slow
and can't keep mouse focus).  The other most significant target is
'fbdev'.  It can use the Linux framebuffer to access the hardware.
With this I get good (considering the age) graphics and performance
from Quake 1.  It is really cool to try and start quake using the 'aa'
(Ascii Art) target :-).

The other advantages of using the framebuffer is I get the cool Tux
logo during bootup and I get awesome screen real estate for mutt or
other console stuff.  The downside is I want 1024x768 for console (so
the text is big enough) but 1280x1024 in X (so I get lots of space).

Supposedly X is able to provide hardware acceleration on top of the
framebuffer (and the framebuffer docs say that apps should be able to)
but I haven't gotten it to work with my card yet.

-D