Re: Potato->Woody HOWTO?

On Thursday 20 September 2001 09:05 am, Yago Alvarado wrote:
> Hi!
>
>    I've just subscribed to the list a few days ago and I'm seeing
> many messages about people migrating from the Stable to the Testing version
> of Debian which makes me think that it's not such a painful process as I
> had thought.
>
>    Is there a HOWTO or something (perhaps in the archives?)
> explaining how to do it? (passing from the stable version to the testing
> version)

It's really very simple.

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
	s/stable/testing/ all lines in the file.
	comment out the debian-security lines.

Run apt-get update.
Run apt-get dist-upgrade.

Pay close attention to any errors that appear during the dist-upgrade
process.  You may need to run it more than once before it gets all the
dependencies sorted out.  Be prepared for a Very Large Download.  I am in the
process of upgrading a potato box at work.  It wanted to download a bit less
than 300 MB.  I aborted the dist-upgrade and set up a cron job to download
the files last night.  Hopefully they will be there when I get to work
tomorrow.

I upgraded this box from stable to testing and then from testing to unstable
using that process. I currently track unstable with an update/upgrade process
running from cron every night.  So far I have had very few surprises.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>
They have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve.