Re: stable -> testing

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 04:55:53PM -0400, Bob Koss wrote:

*snip*

> I changed 'stable' to 'testing' everywhere in my /etc/apt/sources.list file.
>
> I did an 'apt-get update'. But when I attempt to do an 'apt-get upgrade', I
> get the following error:
>
> 45 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 229 not upgraded.
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   debianutils: PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.1.97) but 2.1.3-18 is to be installed
> E: Internal Error, InstallPackages was called with broken packages!
> bear:~#
>

> So now I seem to have a half-broken system that can't be upgraded.
>
> Advice?

	Have you tried 'apt-get dist-upgrade'?

	The difference between 'apt-get upgrade' and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' is
that dist-upgrade will change the install state of packages to meet
dependencies, while upgrade simply upgrades what it can, and ignores packages
that require the installation/removal of other packages.

HTH,

-Mike

(For the record, unstable and testing are not quite the same thing. At least,
they're two different targets in the sources.list. Unstable is closer to the
bleeding edge than testing.)

--
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.