Re: Unstable -> Testing

* Jeremy Nickurak (gehn@email.com) [010914 22:40]:
> A while ago I had to set myself up a little low-priority router. Now,
> being the irresponsible person I am, I just had to install unstable to
> get a few toys testing was missing at the time. :)

doh! You should have used pin priorities in /etc/apt/preferences to just
upgrade a few pacakges while still tracking testing for the rest of your
system. see posts in the archives from der.hans for help on that.

> Has anyone had experience with what kinds of issues I might run into
> moving from unstable->testing? From what I understand I should just
> start falling behind a bit until I'm back in line with testing, with the
> exception of anything that doesn't get moved into testing for a while.

That's about the best advice I can give you. Just set woody as your
preferred dist again and that's that. You may choose to selectively
downgrade some packages manually: I think that this may be a large
headache for something like libc but not so big a deal for something
like mutt. I think you'll have to watch out for things on a
package-by-pacakge basis; what you should be looking out for is changed
config file formats that install scripts won't warn you about (because
they're usually not retrofitted to support downgrades).

I'd say just start tracking woody, and as always, stay alert for
security announcements whose fixes won't come to you automatically. When
woody goes stable, then you can reel back in anything that floated in
from unstable after the freeze.

Cheers,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.