Re: DNS problems

Am Freitag, 14. September 2001 14:52 schrieb Donald R. Spoon:

> Try defining the local "domain" in your /etc/resolv.conf file, i.e.:
>
> domain "domain.de"  <--I included the quotes here to clarify things.
> search domain.de    <--Probably not needed if the above is defined
> # ISP nameserver
> nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Tried both variants. With and without "search ...". Both don't work.

> If these are real names instead of just examples, I would suggest using
> something else other than "domain.de"...to avoid any possiblility of
> confusion for Linux...i.e. "test.lan".  The word "domain" is a command
> line word in /etc/resolv.conf. & is probably reserved for that use.

The names "domain.de" and "hostname" were just examples. I use real names.
Just thought it wasn't necessary to post them.

I use a dialup connection and I found out that connections are fast while I'm
connected and my ISP's nameserver is reachable. So the nameserver seems to be
queried before the hosts file. But the config files say the opposite.
Confusing.

Thomas