Anyone ever printed RECTANGLES under GNOME?

Hi all,

Here's a print preview of the problem:

http://www.consulting.net.nz/print_preview.png

This is Debian unstable on x86 running GNOME.  Evolution, gedit, etc.
are all printing rectanges. My searching doesn't turn up a solution.

At this stage I'm printing text using StarOffice 5.2 since at least that
works. I can also print postscript fine from the command line. It seems
to be a GNOME print problem.

I've tried selecting different fonts under HTML Viewer in Control Panel.

I remember having the problem ages ago and it went away. Since I went
back to an older revision of my OS and again upgraded to the latest
packages its back again. Maybe I'm missing a necessary package.

What I have installed that may be relevant:

dpkg -l | grep -i 'print'

ii  libcupsys2     1.1.10-2       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii  libgnomeprint- 0.29-6         The GNOME Print architecture (binary
files)
ii  libgnomeprint- 0.29-6         The GNOME Print architecture (data
files)
ii  libgnomeprint- 0.29-6         The GNOME Print architecture
(development fi
ii  libgnomeprint1 0.25-2         The GNOME Print architecture
ii  libgnomeprint1 0.29-6         The GNOME Print architecture
ii  libprinterconf 0.3-4          Printer autodetection library
ii  lprng          3.7.4-5        lpr/lpd printer spooling system
ii  lprngtool      1.1.1-4        GUI frontend to LPRng based
/etc/printcap
ii  mpage          2.5.1pre-6     print multiple pages per sheet on
PostScript
ii  samba          2.2.1a-9       A LanManager like file and printer
server fo
ii  transfig       3.2.3.d-rel-1  Utilities for printing figures from
xfig.

dpkg -l | grep -i 'font'

ii  console-data   1999.08.29-21. Keymaps, fonts, charset maps, fallback
table
ii  console-tools  0.2.3-23.1     Linux console and font utilities.
ii  console-tools- 0.2.3-23.1     Shared libraries for Linux console and
font
ii  defoma         0.4.7          Debian Font Manager -- automatic font
config
ii  fnlib-data     0.5-5          Font files needed by Fnlib
ii  fttools        1.2-11         FreeType font utilities.
ii  gsfonts        6.0-2          Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
ii  gsfonts-other  5.10-2.1       Additional fonts for the ghostscript
interpr
ii  gsfonts-x11    0.13           Make Ghostscript fonts available to
X11.
ii  libfnlib0      0.5-5          Fnlib is a special font rendering
library us
ii  libfreetype6   2.0.2.20010514 FreeType 2 font engine, shared library
files
ii  libttf2        1.4pre.2001042 FreeType 1, The FREE TrueType Font
Engine, s
ii  msttcorefonts  0.9.7          Installer for Microsoft TrueType core
fonts
ii  t1lib1         1.2-1          Type 1 font rasterizer library -
runtime
ii  vflib2         2.25.1-12.2    Vector Font Library for Japanese
Character C
ii  vflib3         3.6.10-2       Versatile Font Library
ii  xfonts-100dpi  4.1.0-5        100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-75dpi   4.1.0-5        75 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base    4.1.0-5        standard fonts for X
ii  xfonts-scalabl 4.1.0-5        scalable fonts for X
ii  xfonts-scalabl 4.0.3-2        non-free Type1 fonts from XFree86

Thanks,
Adam