Re: External IP Address

On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 01:40:00PM +0000, Hereward Cooper wrote:
| Hi,
| How can I get my machine to automatically update a file with my
| current dynamic IP address? Is there a enviroment varriable
| which i can read it from, write it to a file, then upload it to
| a hidden section of a public web site, so that selected people
| (who know where the file is) can use it to SSH in to my box?

/sbin/ifconfig
    will display the IP address of all interfaces

It would be really hard for those people to ssh in and read that file
unless they first knew the IP, in which case they wouldn't need the
file ...

Instead, check out ddt.sourceforge.net.  It is a project that provides
a client utility that will update their server so you can have a
domain even though you have a dynamic IP.  Then you don't need to know
the IP anymore.

-D