Re: RedHat vs Debian?

Hi,

I wish I had numbers for you, but I don't.

I do remember we had to build our own patched ssh binaries for the
last voulnerability 'cus RH didn't have 'em for a day or two.

Debian had packages out withing hours of the patch being posted.

Never been able to upgrade a RH box on my network (too many NFS
dependencies or something), Debian has handled this.

<shameless type="self-aggrandizement">
The MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab has stopped supporting RH and
moved to Debian.  I managed this by setting up my workstation with
Debian and showing howmuch more quickly security patches are out and
how much easier it is to admin (OK and writing my own custom installer
so noone had to see how tedeous it can be to install with all the
config questions that are going to be the same on every system we
install).
</shameless>

The joys of apt are reason enough!

Of course if Management is as technically inept as the term makes them
sound, you may be SOL.  I haven't seen any statistics like what you'd
need (if you find them send us a link).  On the other hand if they're
that brain dead how would they know your new webserver was running
Debian?

I wouldn't recommend replacing the OS on a production server, unless
you're building a replacement anyway though.

-Jon