[OT] impending doom: S1G on sept 8-9

we've had y-2-k, when the first digit rolled over.  now we've
got s-1-g where we gain a WHOLE NEW DIGIT.  pandelirium shall
ensue -- there will be riots in the streets! the home shopping
channel will stock only batteries!

	$ perl -e 'print scalar localtime 1_000_000_000'
	Sat Sep  8 20:46:40 2001

that is, on "Sun Sep  9 01:46:40 2001 GMT" (i'm in CDT) we will
have reached ONE BILLION SECONDS (a whole gigasecond) since
Thu Jan  1 00:00:00 1970 GMT.

here's my plan:

- all us debian folk invest in battery companies and canned food
  companies

- we call dan rather and barbara walters and imply that this
  might be a problem, but not if you hire a debian sysadmin:
	"luckily this new-digit syndrome is restricted to only those folks
	who use base ten. (for example, 1 decimal billion is 33531600616
	in base 7 or 12c23a19c in base 13, and 55e1n2g in base 24.)
	that should help ameliorate the problem for the rest of us."
  tech talk scares many people and drives the price of our
  stocks sky high.

- our friends in the media, who are interested only in informing
  us of the facts, start a global panic where businesses hire us
  as experts to address the situation

- we reap fat consulting fees where the only thing we spend time
  on in our presentation materials (economical use of time)

- we cash in our stock and spend half the proceeds on frivolous
  stuff (food, shelter) and the other half on a smear campaign
  against the dark lord of the northwest...

whaddya think? we've got a bit more than a week to pull it off...

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #56 from Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net>
: