Re: networking problem during install

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 08:51:21AM -0400, James D Strandboge wrote:
> Forgive me I this is redundant, but is your ethernet card set to auto negotiate
> its speed?  Sometimes this can be a problem if you are on a 10BaseT network and
> the card goes to 100Baset.

I'm using 10BaseT.  When I swap in the NetGear FA311 card, and try
to ping from the bad box to a good box, here's what happens with das
blinkenlights on the back of the card:

    - 4 or 5 flashes of the activity light, on all connected ethernet
        cards on the network.
    - the 10/100 light on the bad box's card comes on, halfway... no
        activity lights during this period anywhere.
    - a couple seconds later, the 10/100 light goes off.  GOTO 1.

If i'm pinging from a good box I see activity blinks on all connected
ethernet cards. The bad box card still tries to go into 100BT mode,
but that doesn't stop the activity light from blinking.

My hub only blinks to show outgoing packets, and it shows outgoing packets
for the pinging box only, never for the pinged box.

I looked at the NetGear site, but I couldn't find a way to turn off
autosensing.  At any rate, it looks like the card is alternating between
10 and 100 and having no luck with either.

Thanks for the help!  I guess now I'll go pester people (a little bit)
at LinuxWorld... :)

MarginallyOT: Damn, a lot of people are interested in my boxen now
that I've posted to deb-user!  Logcheck is sending me huge files
now... suddenly people want to ping my (firewalled) NNTP port, do DNS
lookups on my internal box names, see if I have POP3 open (nope)... hit
me, hit me, I'm a target!  I'm assuming most of these are automated.  Geez.

--
Bob Galloway                  No one notices when things are right.