Re: question about hostname

All,

Thanks for the responses/discussions on this topic. I'm gonna secure
myself copies both of the O'Reilly TCP/IP book and the DNS/BIND book and
cross my fingers that they'll lift the fog for me.

In the meantime: I -think- I'm a trifle befuddled by my own situation,
where I have a DSL provider who provides me with 2 numeric IP addresses,
plus a hosting company that is hosting my domain name.

Who "does" what in that situation? The DSL provider (Speakeasy) has
also provided me with DNS server addresses ... they know nada about the
domain I'm hosting with another company (should they?) ... that other
hosting company (WestHost) knows nada about my DSL provider ...

-Who-, in this scenario, would be the one to do this:

"configure your DNS zone to have your static IP (say
111.222.111.222) to point to pear.mydomain.com:

pear.mydomain.com. IN A 111.222.111.222"

-?-

... have I essentially muddied the situation by having a DSL provider and
a separate host-er?

Thanks, hope this thread isn't becoming tiresome.

Glenn

http://www.burningclown.com
"Everyone's Portal to Nothing At All"