Re: AW: ipmasq support in potato kernel

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 09:39:02PM -0400, Mike McGuire wrote:
> > I'm using package 'ipmasq' for starting / stopping firewall and I've not seen
> > it loads a separated module for activating this functionality.
>
> eh. This is just a guess, but I'm guessing that the ipmasq program
> uses the standard firewall rules to do masquerading. Or you can do
> a kernel compile and enable the module / option for masquerading in
> the kernel. There shouldn't be any real difference between them,
> other than with the kernel support a simple rule would do the job
> without needing the ipmasq package, and might be slightly faster.

Bzzzt.

ipmasq (the package) is simply a collection of SCRIPTS that, depending
on which kernel you have installed, enables IP Masquerading via
ipchains, iptables, or ipfwadm (whatever the 2.0 stuff was called).
The ipmasq package does _not_ include any modules or other code which
actually does the masquerading (since htat's the job of the kernel.

IIRC, a potato install leaves you with a kernel that does have
ipchains support; however, I always recommend compiling a custom
kernel, especially if you're manipulating packets.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.