Duplicate Backup Server [AMANDA]

I have completely replicated functionality of our old Amanda backup server
onto a new machine.  With the exact same set up and the exact same config
files (changed local information, of course), I get these when amcheck tries
to contact the clients:

ERROR: XXXXXX: [addr XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX hostname lookup failed]
WARNING: XXXXXX: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: XXXXXX: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: XXXXXX: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
WARNING: XXXXXX: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 5 hosts checked in 30.081 seconds, 5 problems found.

For the first error, the addr that it gives me is the address of the local
server, and not the server that it should be trying to contact. The last
error is the backup server trying to contact itself!!

The other differences are that Our current, working Amanda server is a
Solaris machine, and the Amanda software was compiled from source.  The new
server runs Debian, and was installed from .deb packages.  Both are 2.4.1p1.

I've checked inetd.conf, hosts.allow, hosts.deny, /temp/amanda/*.  Everything
is as it should be, and no errors are being recoreded into /temp/amanda, nor
the /var/log/auth.log files on the client machines.  I'm fresh out of ideads.

Any help will be VASTLY appreciated.  Thanks!

--
my card...