Re: Unresolved Symbol: usb... but i deactivated it when making 'make menuconfig'

On 15 Aug 2001 00:12:50 +0200, Jörn Dreyer wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> this is my first post on a mailing list ... and as you might have guessed
> im a newbie.
> ok this is my problem:
>
> i installed linux on an old ibm ps/2 (diskette version). works fine. (read
> all the mca stuff availiable and so on...)
> i managed to set up a nullmodem connection by using a nullmodem modem
> driver for windows (the direct cable connection somehow didnt work :-(),
> logged in with leechFTP and saved some other packages on the linux machine
> (kernel .... and everything needed to recompile it).
>
> i am running kernel 2.2.19pre17. after make menuconfig i do make deb, make
> clean, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install. no errors till now...
> after copying the kernel to /boot/<placemykernelnamehere> and installing it
> with 'lilo' and 'lilo -q' i reboot: the kernel boots fine till i get lots
> and lots of unresolved symbol errors:
> they start with misc and usb... now the funny thing is that i deactivated
> usb in menuconfig...
>
> i also made a mrproper before make menuconf dep clean bzImage.....
>
> please i dont need usb in any way .... are some other kernel things
> dependent on it???
>
> how can i get rid of that ... maybe delete all the modules i have in
> /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17 ????
>
> aaaaarrrrrgggggh
>
> btw my kernel runs fine ... i didnt run into any crashes / hangs till now...

Sounds like you installed one kernel over another of the same version.
You can check your /etc/modules file for modules that may be being
autoloaded when you boot and comment ones that you don't need out.  Also
man and run depmod.  If that doesn't clear it up please include
/etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf in your reply.

--mike