Re: ipmasq/ipchains/reading TFM

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 01:05:25PM -0400, Stephen Nosal wrote:
> Folks -
>
> I'm running a potato box (2.2.19) as a firewall/gateway for my tiny (2
> machine) home network. Most everything is working fine, but my internal
> network box can't see certain web pages that are visible from the gateway

> 1) Am I going about this the right way - does it sound like ipmasq?
> 2) Can someone point me to the right section of the docs on this, I'm wading
> through pages of ipmasq docs but can't seem to put my finger on this.

I had what I think is the same problem, was driving me nuts.
>From the ipmasq-HOWTO I found at http://ipmasq.cjb.net/

7.15. ( MTU ) - IP MASQ seems to be working fine but some sites don't work.
This usually happens with WWW and FTP.

    ............. A perfectly good way to bypass this is to change your
    Internet link's MTU to 1500. Now some users will balk at this because it
    can hurt some latency specific programs like TELNET and games but the
    impact is only slight. On the other hand, most HTTP and FTP traffic will
    SPEED UP!

(And then explains how to change it for Linux, Windows, etc.)

HTH,
Mike McGuire