Re: OT: SCSI hardware recommendation

Ramin Motakef wrote:

> Joerg Johannes <liste_joerg@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Hi List
> >
> > Has anybody of you a dual-channel SCSI-Controller working?
> > I'm interested in buying one for being able to use CD-Roms and a scanner
> > on a slow channel, and harddisks on a fast channel. So, which
> > controllers are supported, and how do I configure the channels?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > joerg
> >

> I've just installed a Dawicontrol DC-2980 U2W Controller, wich works
> just fine and is cheap (compared to adaptec...). I use only LVD
> Devices with this Controller, so can not comment on the dual-channel
> operation (i do not think this will cause problems)

It is no real Dual-Channel-Controller. It only permits to use two
different cables for internal devices. As soon as you want to use an
external scanner, you can use only one cable for internal devices, so
you will slow down U2W-harddisks to Fast-SCSI because of the CD-Roms
(very bas, in this case I don't have to buy a new controller ;) )

> My older Adaptec 2940U2W works fine with Cdrom, CDR, DAT and 2
> Hardisks on the SE an two other HDs on the LVD Channel.

Same thing here. Do not try to add a scanner to this setup, as nothing
will work anymore.
But thank you for th suggestion, anyway. Maybe I can put an additional
controllerin my box, one for CD-Roms and the scanner, the other for the
harddisks. That will be cheaper, even.

joerg

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.