How do I get the DRI working on XFree 4.1.0?

Hi,

It's been quite a while that I'm trying to get DRI
working on my Voodoo3. But I can't find a solution to
the following problem:

The X-server output says that DRI is up and running.
The tdfx driver is loaded and everything looks fine.
But when I start glxinfo, it tells me that only soft
rendering is available. All GL-applications I have
actually run under soft-GL.

I heard that there would be a problem with the DRI
drivers in the 2.4.7 kernel, so I installed 2.4.8
yesterday, hoping that this would change something.
Unfortunately, I still have the same problem: Only
software rendering available. I followed all the
instructions on the XFree 4.1.0 installation guide but
it didn't help neither.

Has anyone figuered out how to get DRI work on a
Voodoo card?

Bye,

Herbert